A full report of the LOREC programme can be found here.
LOREC programme aims were:
- To enhance patient-centred MDT decision making
- To optimise operative technique
- To diminish post-operative complications and improve quality of life outcomes
- To improve oncological outcomes
- a definition for low rectal cancer.
Definition of low rectal cancer:
Rectal cancer is bowel cancer that is situated in the lower part of the bowel. The focus of this programme was on cancers found on the lowest section of the rectum. An MRI-based anatomical definition where the mesorectum tapers at the origin of the levators, at the pelvic sidewall. This usually corresponds to a measurement of within 6 centimetres of the anal verge.