Dr Norman Carr, histopathologist at Southampton University and Basingstoke Hospital. Pathology is the science of the causes and effects of diseases and Dr Carr is an expert in the complex pathology of pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP) and its appendiceal precursors. A lack of agreement on the terminology of the pathology of PMP has been a barrier to meaningful research and prevented comparison of results from different international centres.
In 2013 Pelican hosted a world consensus meeting on the pathological classifications of PMP and since then Dr Carr has organised a ‘Delphi’ consensus, consulting all the international experts over 12 months to reach agreement in terminology.
Now Dr Carr, with Pelican’s support, will develop an on-line atlas of images that can be shared and discussed by pathologists worldwide who are involved in the diagnosis of peritoneal malignancy and its appendiceal precursors. This improved collaboration and international harmony on terminology will allow more accurate diagnosis and meaningful research.
- Setup of website to be completed by end of 2015.
- Population of website with validated images by end of 2016.
- Analysis of use of website by end of 2017.
- Carr NJ, Finch J, Ilesley IC,et al. Pathology and prognosis in pseudomyxoma peritonei: a review of 274 cases. J Clin Pathol 2012; 65:919-923
- Dee FR. Virtual microscopy in pathology education. Hum Pathol 2009; 40:1112-1121